Thursday, March 24, 2011

How to get drunk in Murray Hill for $20

An appropriate question for 7:45 AM.  Of course you could chug a bottle of Svedka but how about a little class?

Introducing El Rio Grande on 38th and 3rd.  I feel like this place gets no credit.  I mean there's not even any good pictures on Google images. I'll admit I haven't been back since I found out they removed the massive stuffed buffalo hanging over the bar.  But as the weather gets nicer, I start thinking about enjoying libations outside, and I'm reminded of its massive courtyard, always packed during happy hour, and of course its infamous margaritas.

When I first ordered one, my impression was it was the worst deal in the city. Ten bucks for a drink served in one of those mini plastic dixie cups?  Give me a break.  So I ordered two.  Then I blacked out.  See ya later.

No one knows for sure, but the rumor is they use Everclear instead of tequila. Don't ask the bartenders, they get pissed.

Disclaimer: if you try one of these, make sure to do so after, not before, dinner.

Bonus: go on a Tuesday.  That way you can hop across the street for $1 beers at Third and Long.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers